Plumber Vs Gas Engineer: Who to call for your property?

By : europeanproperty

If you have decided to start renovating your new home, you will agree that there are different aspects of home construction that you need to take care of. One of the aspects that you need to put your attention to is the plumbing and heating facilities in your home.

Both these systems are crucial to enhance the comfort of your home. As much as you need smooth and free-flowing water, you also need to provide efficient central heating. But do you know who should you call for working on these systems? Do you think that a plumber will be able to work on your heating system or a gas engineer able to work on your plumbing?

Let’s learn the difference between these two professionals and you can make up your mind that way, as it really depends on the situation and the type of professionals you have available. However, before we start we should make you aware that a lot of plumbers will gas safe registered and Vice Versa, so if that is the case then you will usually be in good hands if they can show you their gas safe ID, or you can find them on the gas safe register.

Why the Confusion and What is the Difference?

So, the main reason why most people are confused on whom to call: a plumber or gas engineer lies in the fact that they both are eligible to be Gas Safe Registered. But let us tell you that whereas a gas engineer must be Gas Safe registered to work on gas appliances such as boilers, plumbers are not mandated to have this certification.

A plumber is supposed to work only on repairing, installing, and maintaining plumbing systems such as leaking pipes, blocked toilets, unblocking storm drainage. They may lawfully work on gas stoves but nothing bigger than that, certainly not boilers!

A gas engineer on the other hand is responsible for working on gas appliances such as boilers. They will install, repair, maintain and replace gas boilers with the utmost efficiency. These professionals are specifically trained in working on gas boilers to ensure that you have working heat in your home, especially during the winter. They will ensure complete safety while handling gas appliances such as boilers, gas cookers, gas pipes.

So, if you want any work done regarding boilers, always make sure to call a gas engineer. But if you need any plumbing repairs, a professional plumber will be a good choice.

When to Call a Gas Engineer?

Now, let’s break it down even further. What are the potential situations where you need to call a gas engineer? Anything that has to do with your heating system that includes boilers, radiators, and central heating, you will need to call a gas engineer for the job.

Potential situations where you will need a gas engineer include:

  • You want to get a new boiler installation for your property. Now, a boiler installation is a complicated process. Firstly, because you are dealing with a machine which could put the safety of your tenants or household members at risk if not completed correctly. That’s where a gas engineer can help you. From an efficient Bournemouth boiler installation by Senior Plumbing and Heating, to explaining the whole working process of your new boiler, they will take care of it all. Not only this, but a gas engineer will also be able to suggest the right type of boiler for you home, as there are three different types: Combi, system, and regular. For example, smaller homes are typically suited to combi boilers and in many situations they might be the only suitable option. So a qualified gas engineer would be able to identify this for you, as well as the particular make/brand which is suited to your household.
  • Your boiler is making weird noises or has frequent breakdowns: This is where you will need a gas engineer to look at your failing boiler and repair the faults that might be causing any issues.
  • Your boiler is leaking gas: You might already know that if your boiler is leaking carbon monoxide, it can become extremely dangerous quickly. So, if you suspect such a leak, call a certified gas engineer right away.
  • You want to replace your old boiler: If you have a boiler that is more than 10 years old, you must get it replaced by calling a gas engineer. They will be able to remove the old boiler safely and install the new one with efficiency.
  • If you need any help with your radiators: you should most likely call a gas engineer. However, if it is basic radiator repairs which need to take place, then you don’t necessarily need to be gas safe registered to undertake this type of work.

These are a few of the situations where you will need to call a professional gas engineer. They must be Gas Safe Registered or OFTEC registered. Gas engineers are trained to work in situations which could put your home at serious risk, so it is not an area you want to overlook.

Hence, when it comes to your boilers or radiators, get in touch with a gas engineer.

When to Call a Plumber?

So, whenever you need help with broken or leaking pipes, blocked toilets, storm drains, bathroom installations, and much more, you need to call worcester plumbers, such as Elgar heating and plumbing services. They are typically professionals working on installing, repairing, and maintaining the plumbing systems of residential and commercial properties.

Some of the situations where you need to call a plumber are:

  • You have leaking pipes in your home: Call a plumber to repair the leaks to avoid any further damage. Although leaking pipes can lead to a pretty dreadful situation if not taken care of correctly, you don’t have to have any particular qualifications to work on such a job.
  • You have a blocked toilet: Nobody likes that! Call a plumber to find the blockage and repair it for a free-flowing toilet.
  • You want to install a dishwasher: Call a plumber if you want to install or repair a dishwasher at your home. This is one of the most common callout plumbers receive and most will be able to deal with it pretty comfortable.
  • You want a bathroom installation. This may be completed by specific bathroom fitters, but a lot of the time you will find plumbers who also specialise in bathroom fitting.

So, now, you know the difference between a plumber and a gas engineer, we hope that you will call the right professionals for the job.